About Host Institution
Centre for Environmental Studies (CES) is an autonomous organization under the Department of Forest and Environment, Government of Odisha. CES undertakes activities to promote environmental awareness in the State. CES also take up projects, conduct training programme, building database etc.
- CES is the Regional Resource Agency(RRA) for the National Environment Awareness Campaign (NEAC) of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), Government of India.
- CES is the State Nodal Agency for the National Green Corps (NGC). So far 9500 eco-clubs have been formed in the state.
- CES is the State Environmental Information System (ENVIS) Centre on the subject - Status of Environment & Related Issues in Odisha under the ENVIS Programme of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), Government of India.
- CES is doing various Research Projects under the aegis of Govt. of Odisha and Govt. of India.
- CES organizes World Environment Day and coordinates selection of Prakruti Mitra & Prakruti Bandhu every year with the support of Forest & Environment Department, Government of Odisha.
- CES also organizes National Energy Conservation Day every year with the support of the Office of the Engineer-in-Chief (Electricity)-cum-PCEI & SDA, Department of Energy, Govt. of Odisha.
About ENVIS (Environmental Information System)
The Environmental Information System (ENVIS) was introduced by the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Govt. of India, during the end of 6th Five year Plan Scheme for collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of environmental information to planners, decision makers, scientists, environmentalists, researchers, academicians and other stake holders. ENVIS is a decentralized computerized network database system consisting of the focal point located in the Ministry and a chain of network partners, known as ENVIS Centres located in the potential organizations, institutions throughout the country. The ENVIS node at the Centre for Environmental Studies was declared as ENVIS Centre in 2005. The objectives of ENVIS :
- To provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of users.
- To build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities, with the ultimate objective of disseminating information speedily to the users.
- To promote national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of Environment related information.
- To promote exchange of information among countries and region.
The ENVIS Centre is mandated to develop and maintain an information base that includes both descriptive information as well as numerical data. Descriptive information in the form of publications, reports, reprints and abstracts on different topic will be stored for dissemination. Numerical data on the said subjects will be collected, compiled, processed and analyzed for the purpose of dissemination. Documentation in the form of publications and reports would be brought out. All the information compiled will be made available on the website launched. Immediate and long term objective: The ENVIS Centre will collect books, reports and journals for retrieval, dissemination and database creation.
- To host and maintain a website.
- To publish abstracts on the subject area.
- To have linkages with information sources in the country and abroad for increasing the information contents.
To supply information on the queries referred to it, by ENVIS Focal Point, Central Government, Departments and organization State Government Departments and Organizations, Scientific Institutions and Research scientists in the country, in the form of copies of published reports, documents, abstracts and research papers.
- To help in building up an inventory of authentic and reliable information material.
- To establish data bank containing data on relevant subject area.
- To identify data gaps and knowledge gaps in their subject areas and prepare a status report and enable policy decision.
Odisha ENVIS Centre
Our Center is a State Government Centre functioning at Centre for Environmental Studies under Forest & Environment Department, Government of Odisha.
On Status of Environment & Its Related Issues